Who We Are
The St. Thomas Reformed Church was established around 1660, and is one of the oldest congregations in the Virgin Islands. Organized by Dutch traders as the St. Thomas Protestant Reformed Dutch Church, early services were held in Fort Christian, which remains a museum and historical site in downtown Charlotte Amalie.
The first church was built in the mid-1670's on the savannah east of the Fort in the area known as Barrcks Yard and remained in use to at least 1731. In the 1740's a new church was built on Snegle Gade, which burned in 1804. A new church was immediately erected, but was again destroyed by fire in 1806.
The congregation was transferred from the Reformed Church in the Netherlands to the Reformed Church in America in 1827. The cornerstone of the present church was laid September 18, 1844 and completed and consecrated on February 8, 1848. Identified by the Danes as the American church, the baccalaureate service to commemorate the transfer of the Danish West Indies to the United States was held here on February 18, 1917.
In 1995 the sanctuary was severely damaged by Hurricane Marilyn. With the assistance of 400 North American volunteers, the sanctuary has been restored to its original elegance.
We are located at the corner of Nye Gade & Crystal Gade, in downtown Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands.
We welcome members and visitors to join us for worship Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m.